Saturday, December 12, 2015

Cookies!


Trust me: here is the BEST sugar cookie recipe in the entire world, guaranteed. You will probably thank me! If you make them, I'd love to know if you agree. This recipe long ago compliments of my friend Barbara Bendix, who knows her cookies :^)
For cookies:
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 and 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
3 tsp vanilla
3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
For icing:
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 pound confectioner's sugar, sifted
1 tablespoon vanilla
milk
Prepare cookies: in a mixing bowl, cream the butter with an electric mixer. Add sugar and beat until mixture is light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Add vanilla and beat until incorporated.
Sift together the remaining ingredients; stir them into the creamed mixture and mix well. Wrap dough in plastic (sedan) wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight.
On a lightly floured surface roll portions of dough out to about 1/4 inch thick--I say the thicker the better! Cut out cookies with cookie cutters. Place cookies on a lightly greased cookie sheet and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 8 minutes, maybe 10 until edges of the cookies look slightly golden. (Don't overcook!) Cool cookies on wire racks until ready to decorate.
Prepare icing: In a bowl cream together butter, confectioner's sugar and vanilla. Add enough milk to allow icing to hold its shape but still move easily when you stir it. Test consistency: if icing is too dense, add more milk; if too runny, add more confectioner's sugar. Ice cookies with a knife or pastry bag and add whatever sprinkles you want. Place cookies separately until icing hardens. (We separate the icing in bowls and add coloring so we have green, pink-red, and white cookies.) Makes about 4 dozen cookies.
Happy Holidays my friends. Things are looking up in my small corner of the world.
love
kj

11 comments:

  1. That last line was the best - things are beginning to look up ! Happy Holidays to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to love making this sugar cookie when my son lived at home. You are right, it is a very good cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kay, my health fitness daughter loves them. I told her the year I don't make them for her she'll know I'm over the hill. She smiled at me and said, "that's okay: I'll make them for my grandchildren." It warmed my heart :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to give this recipe a try. Thank you. Glad things are looking up. Have a lovely Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deb, I'm glad. Let me know if you love them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just the picture is making me salivate.

    I am done making cookies this year but I am going to copy this for next year. Possibly January of next year : ) Thanks for sharing it.

    So very happy to read that things are tipping towards the positive! That gave me my first smile of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am happy things are coming around to your preferred method of madness kj. That means JB is feeling better eh? Oh the cookies look like the kind a diabetic says "LOOK!" while he points your attention away and grabs as many as possible before you turn back to catch him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for the cookie recipe. and glad things are looking up. take care and be well. love, suki

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so pleased things are looking up KJ, long may that continue. Sending you both warm hugs xx Jos

    ReplyDelete
  10. These cookies are looking amazing! And I'm sure they're really tasty. Thank you a lot for posting this recipe!

    ReplyDelete